- To consolidate and extend students’ learning in order to enhance self learning outside the classroom.
- To help students consolidate the knowledge that they have learnt so that they can apply these skills in their daily life.
- To help students plan and manage their learning progress. It helps enhance their independent learning and self discipline skills.
- To let students understand and identify what their areas of improvement are.
- To assess students’ performance in terms of knowledge, skills, attitudes and values.
- To identify any learning difficulties in order to allow teachers to fine tune teaching strategies to suit the students’ needs.
Frequency and quantity of homework
- There is homework for the major subjects (Chinese, English and Mathematics) every day.
- More exercises may be given to the more capable classes.
- For P.1 and P.2 students, no more than 1 hour should be spent on finishing homework. For P.3 and P.4 students, no more than 90 minutes should be spent on finishing homework. For P.5 and P.6 students, no more than 2 hours should be spent on finishing homework.
Suggested length of time to be used for finishing different kinds of homework:
|Vocabulary||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Worksheets||—||—||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Grammar worksheets||—||—||20 minutes||20 minutes|
|Writing Worksheets||15 minutes||20 minutes||20 minutes||20 minutes|
|Module worksheets||20 minutes||20 minutes||—||—|
|High Order Thinking worksheets||—||—||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Sentence-making worksheets.||—||—||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Reading Comprehension||10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||20 minutes|
|Pre Writing Worksheets||—||—||15 minutes||20 minutes|
|Green Book||10 minutes||10 minutes||—||—|
|Reading Booklet||15 minutes||15 minutes||—||—|
|Dictation (Corrections and Parent’s Signature)||10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Formative Assessments (Corrections and Parent’s Signature)||10 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Sentence Making||10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes|
|Formative Assessments (Corrections and Parent’s Signature)||10 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes|
|Pre-reading Worksheets||20 minutes||20 minutes||20 minutes|
|Grammar book||20 minutes||20 minutes||20 minutes|
|Reading book||—||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Supp.WS||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|P1 and P2 Module Worksheet (RWS &WWS)||20 minutes||—||—|
|Writing WS||20 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|P3-P5 Reading WS||—||20 minutes||20 minutes|
|P3-P5 Poem WS||—||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Fun Writing||—||15 minutes||20 minutes|
|TSA/PreS1 exercises||30 minutes||40 minutes||45 minutes|
|Handwriting||10 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Penmanship||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Textbook||15 minutes||15 minutes||20 minutes|
|Workbook||15 minutes||20 minutes||25 minutes|
|Long Question||—||20 minutes||25 minutes|
|Book A||—||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Mathematics Supplementary Exercise||10 minutes||10 minutes||—|
|Mathematics Exercise||15 minutes||20 minutes|
|Mental Calculation||10 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Effective Steps to Mathematics||10 minutes||—||—|
|Self-directed Learning Log||—||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Workbook||10 minutes||15 minutes||20 minutes|
|Newspaper Worksheet||—–||15 minutes||20 minutes|
|High Order Thinking Worksheet||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|e-News Sharing||—–||20 minutes||20 minutes|
|Pre-lesson Worksheet||10 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes|
|Class worksheets/others||15 minutes||15 minutes||20 minutes|
- Class teachers remind students to write down the homework items in their handbook during Class teacher period and SMILE period.
- Class teachers check students’ handbook during Class teacher period and SMILE period and sign their names in it every week. Parents need to check their child’s handbook every day.
- Parents need to sign their names on Chinese dictation and formative assessments.
- Homework tasks that are not related to learning are not recommended.
- Suitable amounts of homework are given 3 to 4 days before long holidays.
- For group assignments, such as projects, suitable arrangements are made in order to provide suitable opportunity of participation, time and assistance to all students.
- For those students who are not able to complete their homework, extra support will be provided.
- If students fail to submit their homework frequently, teachers may contact the parents in order to discuss and address this issue.